- RSS Channel Showcase 4542036
- RSS Channel Showcase 6604571
- RSS Channel Showcase 8386751
- RSS Channel Showcase 8884221
Sound arts and new music in Cumbria.
- 06/09/17--06:15: Hannah Festival Open Day – 13/06/17
- 06/09/17--06:38: Delia Derbyshire Day Cumbria – 5/8/17
- Full of Noises have commissioned prize-winning Cumbrian sound artist Jenn Mattinson to make a new piece inspired by the time Delia lived in Cumbria in the 1980's which will receive it's first performance this evening.
- A selection of work made for previous editions of DDD including:
- Caro C - “Audient, my dear” (2013) for electronics, voice, ping pong ball and ruler.Caro C is an electronic music producer, performer and sound engineer with a passion for found sounds and languages, but operating at a time when the technology available is in stark contrast to the complex and time-consuming techniques used by Delia and her peers. With live digital visuals by Andrea Pazos.
- The Architects of Rosslyn - "The Waking Sleep" (2016). Mandy Wigby Producer/Composer feat. Howard Jacobs Composer/Musician – performing a live electronic and acoustic/foley soundtrack to a collage of films by artist and ‘movician’ Di Mainstone.
- DD Audio archive collage by David Butler with film by FON favorite Mary Stark - A camera-less 35mm film in response to the Delia Derbyshire Archive.
- 08/24/17--09:40: Full of Noises 4.5 – 28/10/17
Hannah Directory Launch Open studio day at Piel View House Tues 13 June, 10:00-16:00 Ever wondered what goes on in that sightly sinister looking house in Barrow park? We're holding an open studio on Tuesday 13th June to celebrate the launch of this year's Hannah Directory - drop in to pick up your copy and hear/see some of the work we've been doing since we moved into Piel View House back in 2010. 'Hannah Directory looks for outstanding contributions in any activity that is for the common good of the place it happens in. Octopus / Full of Noises joins artists, musicians, community groups, digital technology companies, policy think tanks, a music festival and a volunteer-run cinema in the fifth edition of the directory, which celebrates people and organisations living and working in places in England's north More than a hundred different organisations have made it into the five editions of the directory so far, covering a geographical area from Barrow to Sheffield and Newcastle to Liverpool. Bringing them all together in one directory means ideas and inspiration can be exchanged between people and places in the north.' Read more at: hannahfestival.com How to find us: Piel View House image by Sam Underwood
Delia Derbyshire Day Cookes Studios, Barrow-in-Furness Saturday 5th August Workshop 10.00- 13.00 Performance 19.00-21.00 Click here for workshop tickets (free admission) Click here for performance tickets (£3/£5) As part of this year’s Full of Noises programme, Octopus are excited to be hosting two special events celebrating the life and work of 1960’s electronic music pioneer Delia Derbyshire (1937-2001), most well-known for her work at the BBC Radiophonic Workshop where she produced the version of The Dr Who theme loved by generations of fans. Workshop (ages 8+) 10:00 -13:00 Free (booking required) Make your own music inspired by Delia Derbyshire. This hands-on workshop is led by sound engineer/ music producer Caro C and composer/producer Mandy Wigby. After deconstructing Delia’s iconic rendering of the original Dr Who theme tune and looking at some working notes from Delia’s archive, you will have the opportunity to explore and play with found sounds, sampling and creating loops. No experience necessary - just bring your ears and your imagination! Concert 19:00 - 21:00 An intimate evening of live performance and film brought to us by Delia Derbyshire Day - a Manchester-based organisation which celebrates the life and work of electronic music pioneer Delia Derbyshire and commissions new work based on the DD archive. The evening programme includes:
Full of Noises 4.5 Saturday 28th October 2017 Venues around Barrow-in-Furness This year’s edition of Full of Noises takes place over a single Saturday in October, bringing new music and sounds to the unique surroundings of the Furness Peninsula. Revisiting one of our favourite venues, the Nan Tait Centre and setting up stall in Barrow’s bustling indoor market, we’ve invited an exciting mixture of artists, musicians, composers, field recordists and makers to populate the town with new work.
In Barrow market, SoundCamp (Maria Papadomanolaki, Dawn Scarfe, Grant Smith) present work from their research residency with South Walney Nature Reserve alongside vintage text adventures from Domestic Science and a special Shrimping It workshop exploring Cumbria’s uneasy relationship with all things nuclear. We welcome Laura Cannell back to FoN as a curator and performer with Modern Ritual, an evening of performances, words and sounds from Charles Hayward, Jennifer Lucy Allan, Ex-Easter Island Head and Hoofus/Andre Bosman. Ex-Easter Island Head also lead a special prepared guitar workshop, whilst Jenn Mattinson presents a newly commissioned piece investigating Delia Derbyshire’s lost years in Cumbria. Plus more to be announced...